Fitness never stands still. Find out the new ways you’re going to get fit and healthy as the weather warms.
It’s time to shake up old routines, switch sleep-deprived schedules with a little self-love and swap boring workouts for some seriously fresh fitness. With a major turn towards mindfulness and time-efficient training, the fitness industry has changed on a global scale. Here’s what you need to know to stay cool while you sweat.
1. Returning to Play: While push-ups and squats are definitely effective, certified eating psychology coach Jenny Eden Berk believes that returning to a childlike state of play will be all the rage in 2018. “There is a growing movement of… classes that focus on games that get people moving [while] totally having fun,” Berk says. “When I moved from hard-core running and spin classes to a more fun, playful, and mindful approach to movement, it changed my whole life. I look forward to exercise now and burn crazy amounts of calories. Mark my words: Play and mindful movement is the new SoulCycle.”
2. Live-Streaming Classes: While live-streaming classes aren’t new, certified personal trainer and kinesiologist Dr. Carrie Burrows believes that 2018 will be the year that live-streaming group classes will finally gain momentum. “People are protective of their time, and being efficient by working out at home will see another surge in the online space,” Burrow says.
3. Exercising With Pets: Whether it’s going for a run with Fido or doing a session at a cat yogastudio, certified personal trainer Trinity S. Perkins predicts that exercising with animals will be a 2018 fitness staple. “Being able to combine your two loves — exercise and your fur baby — is a great market, and it’s good for both the people and the animals,” Perkins says.
4. Boxing: 2017 has been a huge year for boxing, and Katie Dunlop of Love Sweat Fitnesspredicts that our love affair with the kick-butt sport is far from over. “There is something about being able to punch a bag that just makes you feel so fierce,” Dunlop says. “I think there will be a huge trend toward boxing in 2018… and not your big box gym cardio kickboxing. Whether at home, in a private gym, or in group fitness classes, there are going to be tons more women learning to bob and weave and throw a one-two punch next [year].”
5. DNA Testing for Peak Fitness Performance: From heritage tracking to allergy tests, DNA testing has become more popular than ever over the past year. “In 2018, I believe more and more people will begin to take their health and wellness insights to the next level with their genetic data,” says CEO and Founder of EverlyWell Julia Cheek. “The promise of genetic testing is that it can tell you more about the way you’re built, so that you can tailor your lifestyle to fit your biology — and ultimately change up your fitness routine to get great results.”